Wednesday 21 July 2010

Lookbook.nu

I have a love/hate relationship with lookbook.nu.

Pros:
  • It gives people the chance to show their style to the world
  • It helps me (and I'm sure lots of other people feel the same) with inspiration for fashion and photography.
Cons
  • Hypes and karma - a lot of people go un-noticed on lookbook because of the whole karma aspect and hyping favourite looks.
  • A lot of people hype looks because the person is a) skinny, b) good-looking or the photo is pretty well executed. The whole point of lookbook is to show people your style and 'looks', not how pretty you or your picture is! Ok, yes, I have hyped a lot of looks with good photography, but I have to like the look first - if it's something I'd never wear, then I won't hype. I have so seen many people who have high karma on the 'hot' page just wearing shorts and t-shirt and they've only got there because of their looks and dress size. That's not inspirational!
Yes, I have lookbook myself, not that I'm a popular, hyped member. I'm the total opposite. I hate a lot of my looks on there (ok, I only have about five, but you know what I mean) but the ones I dislike the most, people love. For example, this one:

LOOKBOOK.nu: "The Crazy Cat Lady" by Kitty B

Uninspiring, boring, casual, nothing special. But it's the most hyped look I have. What?!

And, the looks I love the most, get few hypes. I don't get it! This is one I'm most proud of, which I posted today: LOOKBOOK.nu: "I'm a little bit lost without you." by Kitty B

One day, I might end up loving lookbook. But at the moment, I'm only liking it.

2 comments:

  1. Lookbook is a very weird thing. I am the most bewildered by looks where the person is hardly wearing anything, but gets a billion hypes because they are attractive and almost nude.

    But it is such a great source of inspiration! I love the look you posted today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it gets a bit ridiculous when people post things like that! Would they actually wear them out and about?! Well, maybe if you were Lady Gaga. But for the majority, a lot of looks are quite good!

    And thank you! I adore my new parasol, haha!

    ReplyDelete